-----Original Message-----
From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tony Howe
Sent: 11 January 2007 13:49
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Thankful Villages

WWI really was a watershed moment though. An old-fashoined war fought
with the full force of what modern technology had to offer - machines,
manpower, chemicals, and no rules. Destruction and death on a truely
massive scale - all played out on film for everyone to see for the first
time. No-one could've been shielded from the real horror of what warfare
was all about, a state of mind which has influenced politics, art,
literature and popular thought ever since. We shouldn't ever stop
commemorating this moment - it's one of the defining factors of our
society and should always remain so.

Tony

                      Chris Wardle

                      <Chris.Wardle@LEICES        To:

                      TER.GOV.UK>                 cc:

                      Sent by: Issues             Subject:  Re: Thankful
Villages
                      related to Historic

                      Environment Records

                      c.uk>

                      11/01/07 13:27

                      Please respond to

                      Issues related to

                      Historic Environment

                      Records

Hi

It's interesting how ,after almost 90 years, folk still regard the First
World War as a departure from what went before. -How many of these
Thankful Villages suffered casualties in WWII or the various small wars
that our leaders have lead us into since? -Another question is whether
anyone at the start of the 20th century sought to commemorate the dead
of the Napoleonic Wars in the same way that we are still doing for the
First World War?

Chris Wardle
City Archaeologist
Urban Design Group
Leicester City Council
Block A
New Walk Centre
Welford Place
Leicester. LE1 6ZR
0116 2527282

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/01/2007 13:14:45 >>>
Helen

Sorry didn't get that point, but do now.

Unfortunately it wouldn't work absolutely, would it?

Just because somewhere didn't have a World war I memorial wouldn't mean
they were a thankful village, just that they didn't have a war memorial.

The recent progs by Ian Hislop about WWI memorials show how they might
have lost memorials. As you note the database may not be complete - does
it only record extant memorials or ones that used to exist? It looks
like only the former.

Also one may not have been built - not sure how they were funded/built?

Still a useful resource though

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Heritage Section
Countryside Service
North Yorkshire County Council
County Hall
Northallerton
DL7 8AH
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

Conserving North Yorkshire's heritage - encouraging sustainable access
www.northyorks.gov.uk/archaeology

This email is personal. It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of
North Yorkshire County Council, however, the Council has the right and
does inspect emails sent from and to its computer system. This email is
the sole responsibility of the sender

>>> Helen Wells <[log in to unmask]> 11/01/2007 12:51:05 >>>
I thought that was the point - you can check their thankful village
status by seeing if they have a memorial..?

WARNING

This E-mail and any attachments may contain information that is
confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the
named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken is
prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily the
view of the Council.

North Yorkshire County Council.

* * * This email and any attachments with it are intended for the
addressee only. It may be confidential and may be the subject of legal
and/or professional privilege.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
[log in to unmask] The content may be personal or contain
personal opinions and cannot be taken as an expression of the County
Council's position. Surrey County Council reserves the right to monitor
all incoming and outgoing mail. Whilst every care has been taken to
check this outgoing e-mail for viruses, it is your responsibility to
carry out any checks upon receipt.

Visit the Surrey County Council website - http://www.surreycc.gov.uk

* * *
The information in this message including any attachments may be confidential or privileged and is for the use of the named recipient only. If you are not the named or intended recipient you may not copy, distribute, or deliver this message to anyone or take any action in reliance on it. If you receive this message in error please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system