Hi sarah,

the nitty gritty isn't my problem - we send it off to finance and they
sort it out.

Fair points though

best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer
Heritage Section
Countryside Service
North Yorkshire County Council
County Hall
Northallerton
DL7 8AH
Direct Dial (01609) 532331

Conserving North Yorkshire's heritage - encouraging sustainable access
www.northyorks.gov.uk/archaeology

This email is personal. It is not authorised by or sent on behalf of
North Yorkshire
County Council, however, the Council has the right and does inspect
emails sent from
and to its computer system. This email is the sole responsibility of
the sender

>>> "MacLean, Sarah" <[log in to unmask]> 09/01/2007 11:52

Nick,

What about the nitty gritty of how people pay, especially if its an
overseas enquiry? Will you have to charge more to cover costs of
converting the money? How can people actually pay? Will you just
accept
cheques? I don't know how other councils handle money but we can only
deal with cash or cheques.

I'm pretty much just thinking of things off the top of my head, I must
admit.

I think if we tried to implement something like that here we'd have a
huge problem with figuring out how we deal with enquiries that come
through the Keys to the Past website. Not only would it mean our
partners in Durham would have to consider charging, we'd have to agree
costs and figure out how we would charge (per enquiry or per hour?).
Do
you actually get enough enquiries to make it worth charging?

It would be interesting to hear if any other councils do charge for
non-commercial enquiries and when they do so.

Best wishes

Sarah

Sarah MacLean
Historic Records Officer