Yes I've just read the thread and found the comments from those
outside healthcare depressing. The papers are always onto a winner if
they mention greedy GPs and the old chestnut of attractice access
times. How come no other profession is expeted to be available outside
of normal working times? If I want to see my bank manager, solicitor
dentist, or even GP I expect to go at a time that THEY can see me.

What the general polpualtion need to realise is that an 'open all
hours 24/7 system' would cost bigstyle in money and manpoower. If I am
flying somewhere I expect the pilot to have been well rested - the
same should be expected of those providing health care. We can all
think back to the 'bad old days' when the phone rang at 3 in the
morning (having been busy during the evening and then disturbed at 1
and 2), and we felt too knackered to move.

As we all know, one of the things that the new contract highlighted
was the TRUE cost of OOH. We were always paid a derisory rate to
provide this ( and I for a time paid an inordinate amount to get rid
of it - i.e. it cost us a lot more to pay others to do it for us.)

I considered giving a history lesson regarding this on the Daily Mail
list, but life is too short and I enjoy my time off more these days.

--
Best Wishes

Paul Bromley

www.floridaholidayvilla.biz
Superb Villa in Orlando with own pool - Free Internet & International
Phonecalls.