  -----Original Message-----
  From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK.
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Emma Webb
  Sent: 15 January 2007 14:25
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Head lice and replica costume

  Apologies for the title of this email but I would like information from
people who have costume to try on, either  in galleries or as part of a
handling collection. WE recently launched a small series of activity areas
in our museum which include costume for visitors to try on.

   The replica costume includes a felt tricorn hat, and three woollen and/or
velvet hats. We have had a comment from a school nurse that we should not
include headgear as they can harbour lice. Googling this subject does not
come up with anything conclusive on whether or not headlice can survive in
hats and transfer from person to person.

  Any comments?

  Emma Webb

  Learning and Programmes Manager

  National Museums Scotland

  Chambers Street

  Edinburgh EH1 1JF

  Tel +44 (0) 131 247 4267

  Fax+44 (0) 131 220 4819

  e-mail [log in to unmask]

  http://www.nms.ac.uk

  This communication is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not
the addressee please inform the sender and delete the email from your
system. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of
the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the National Museums
Scotland. This message is subject to the Data Protection Act 1998 and
Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002. No liability is accepted for any
harm that may be caused to your systems or data by this message.