Hello all
A reminder about the next meeting of the ESOL Research Group at Leeds
next Wednesday, 17 January.
All welcome!
If you are planning to come, send an email to me, James Simpson:
Cheers
James

_____

ESOL Research Group at Leeds

The next meeting of the ESOL Research Group will take place on
Wednesday 17 January 2007
Time: 5.30-7.30 pm
Place: Room 1.24, Hillary Place Building, School of Education,
University of Leeds

*****
Placement practices: Data and directions for analysis

James Simpson (University of Leeds) and Melanie Cooke (King's College
London)

The NRDC Placement Practices Project asks: How do ESOL or bilingual
students get placed or place themselves in literacy and/or ESOL classes?
To address this question we have been working with two colleges, one in
London and one in Yorkshire, since September, investigating enrolment
and placement practices from both an institutional and a students'
perspective.
Our methods comprise:

- ethnographic observation of institutional enrolment and placement
practices;
- interviews with ESOL and literacy tutors, coordinators and senior
managers;
- observation of ESOL and literacy lessons;
- group and individual interviews with ESOL and literacy students.

The Placement Practices Project is funded by the DfES through the NRDC,
the National Research and Development Centre for Adult Literacy and
Numeracy. Gaining a practitioner's perspective is vital for this
project, and at this meeting, practitioners will have the opportunity to
shape the research. We will first describe what we have done so far.
Then we'll present extracts of data and invite discussion on directions
for analysis.

As with all ESOL Research Group meetings, time will be set aside for
more informal discussion of current ESOL issues.

All are welcome. If you plan to come, just send an email to me, James
Simpson: [log in to unmask] And please feel free to
forward this message to others.

*****
The ESOL Research Group is open to anyone with an interest in research
into ESOL in the Skills for Life context in the UK, and who is within
striking distance of the University of Leeds. This includes - but is not
limited to - ESOL researchers, practitioners currently carrying out
research, practitioners who are planning to carry out research, and
those who have been involved in previous ESOL research.

How to get to the university:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/visitors/getting_here.htm
How to get to Hillary Place: Hillary Place is close to the Parkinson
Building (with the white clock tower). As you face the Parkinson steps,
it is down the hill to your left, and on the left, opposite the old
church. Hillary Place is a row of red-brick terraced houses. Have a look
at the map at: http://webprod2.leeds.ac.uk/campusmap/index.asp

----------------
Dr James Simpson
School of Education
University of Leeds
Leeds LS2 9JT
UK
http://www.education.leeds.ac.uk/people/staff.php?staff=39
+44 (0)113 343 4687

Join the ESOL-Research discussion list:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html

ESOL-Research is a forum for researchers and practitioners with an interest in research into teaching and learning ESOL. ESOL-Research is managed by James Simpson at the Centre for Language Education Research, School of Education, University of Leeds.
To join or leave ESOL-Research, visit
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ESOL-RESEARCH.html
A quick guide to using Jiscmail lists can be found at:
http://jiscmail.ac.uk/help/using/quickuser.htm
To contact the list owner, send an email to