The following Conference announcement and call for papers may be of
interest to you and your colleagues.  Please feel free to forward to
anyone who may be interested.  Many thanks. Authenticity to Action -
Involving Service Users and Carers in Higher Education3 Day
International Conference7 - 9 November 2007Grange Over Sands, Cumbria We
are pleased to announce an exciting international conference focused on
the involvement of health and social care service users in higher
education. The conference welcomes contributions and participation from
all stakeholders: Service users and carers Academics Students The ways
in which service users and carers might participate within universities
are many and varied, and we welcome contributions that relate to them
all. These include participation in: Teaching and learning Research
Strategic planning Wider community engagement Developing access We hope
that the conference will build upon the successful first 'Where's The
Patient Voice in Health Professional Education' Conference, November 3-5
2005, Vancouver, Canada hosted by the University of British Columbia
www.health-disciplines.ubc.ca/DHCC/ The conference is supported by
the work of The Comensus Project at the University of Central
Lancashire. For more information visit our web site at
www.uclan.ac.uk/comensus The conference will bring together service
users and carers, students and academics with a view to sharing
different forms of knowledge and expertise in a mutually supportive
atmosphere. We are working towards seeking funding to make bursaries
available to support attendance of individual students and service
users/carers. We are also looking for organisations interested in making
a contribution to the fund to support bursaries. We aim to make the
whole conference as interactive as possible and accessible to all
participants. Participants are encouraged to be prepared to present
their work and facilitate sessions in plain language.  CONFERENCE
THEMESPrinciples and practice of community engagement for universities
Supporting and sustaining user and carer involvement Involvement in
teaching, research and institutional decision making: commonalities and
differences Linking policy to practice Drivers and barriers Making sense
of involvement: philosophies and critiques Methodologies for evaluation
and development Impact and outcomes Resources for involvement The value
of involvement Payment and volunteering Authenticity versus
incorporation History of involvement CALL FOR PAPERS: The Programme
Committee invites proposals for contributions to the conference. These
contributions are sought in a number of different formats: SHOWCASES
PAPERS FILMS WORKSHOPS MODELS & STRATEGY GROUPS  Making the most of the
conferenceWe wish the conference to be truly involving of all the
stakeholder groups. For this reason we do not want anybody to be
excluded from making a contribution. If you don't have a paper to
present, why not think about facilitating a workshop to showcase
relevant experiences. We encourage all participants to present their
work in an accessible, jargon-free format. We are particularly keen that
novice conference attendees are able to participate fully in the
proceedings. We welcome presentations and workshops that are led by
service users, carers and students.  Abstracts of between 300-500 words
are required for the following formats: SHOWCASES PAPERS WORKSHOPS
POSTERS For details about specific requirements for abstracts, please
contact Liz Kelly [log in to unmask] Deadline for submission of
abstracts: FRIDAY 23RD FEBRUARY 2007 Please note that all presenters
will be required to register for the conference and pay the fee which
will be £350 plus VAT for the three days (non residential).  Conference
FeeFull Conference Package§         Three-day conference including lunch
and refreshments throughout each day Cost £350 plus VAT = £411.25
Single day attendance including lunch and refreshments for one days
attendance Cost £125 plus
VAT = £146.88             For Further Details
about the Conference, Call for Papers and a Booking form, contact:   Liz
Kelly, Faculty of Health, University of Central Lancashire, Preston PR1
2HE, UKEmail [log in to unmask]     Tel: +44 (0)1772 893809      Fax:
+44 (0)1772 892995www.uclan.ac.uk/healthconf