I haven't heard of this story either.  Nevertheless, regardless of the relationship between the service dog and the boy, the school has a legal obligation, under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide full access and accommodation to his education.  If that means having his service dog present in the school and classroom, then that's what should be allowed.  The fact that the school is conducting an investigation into whether the service dog is needed is absolutely ridiculous.  The school administrators are really opening themselves up to a human rights complaint under the ADA.

Darren Cooper
-----Original Message-----
From: The Disability-Research Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Thomas Neuville
Sent: Sunday, January 14, 2007 7:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: service dog turned away from school

I am not aware of this story. I do however have a stray comment. Service animals are way over used. It has become a vehicle for agencies to raise money through the use of images of pitiful people and cute dogs. The trend has gotten out of hand and is contributing to the deviancy-image juxtaposition of people as animals. When pushed as to the value of the service animal most service dog providers will respond that the person needs a relationship and the dog provides that. This is a problem of relationship not service. Just thought I'd throw that in.
Thomas Neuville