  From: Margarida Dolan
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 6:01 PM
  Subject: Re: Number of Dyslexic students in HEI?

  Happy New Year to all.
  Dear Andy, I would be very interested to follow the discussion, and do not find it unpractical at all.
  With best wishes and saludos,
  --
  Margarida Dolan, Ph.D.
  Skills Development for

  *Please consider the environment
  before printing this email*

  On 10/01/07, A Velarde <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    Hello Amanda. I wonder whether this dialogue  may be a bit etherious.  I
    send you some views anyway. Reply to [log in to unmask], as I guess others
    may find unpractical. Any other person who wants to hear form this
    conversation pls do so too.

    I "Assume that the disability is located in the
    environment, not in the student".

    exactly. Hence,

    1. The point is to identify to which measures of quantity, movement,
    cognitive capabilities such environment has being constructed (for us), so
    we don't continue doing it in that manner. And convince people of the need
    to relies efforts (someone said funding?) to make it, progressively, more
    universal

    2. There is a strong evidence that such environment would obey contemporary
    economics of return (although this would only be possible to be understood
    by those who would read history in 50 year in the future), not humanitarian
    values. I.e. Although  in the present a ramp not only brings more consumers
    to an establishment, and not also is a PR, against competitors, people also
    care.

    II. 'The label the student wears for statistical and financial purposes is
    all part of the picture'.

    Yes, but who is holding and reading that picture?  if the case is to make an
    environment for all, why not turning into the implied acceptable model (the
    one for whom UPIAS stood against in the first place. They created the Social
    Model in the 1970s).

    Who could describe a normal person? Statistician, functional professionals
    of mass society and consumerism,  reply only after you have reached a point
    of material experience of a existence that denies your changing humanity)

    III. 'To describe it is a creative act I think (elsewhere
    called discourse and dialogism)'

    Lest apply the art to picture the normal, shall we? There is a urgent
    practical reason too. We may help people not to create human bonsais for
    their own conveniences.

    Best, Andy