++++++++++++Apologies for cross posting++++++++++++++++

Bringing Digital Companies and the Cultural and Heritage Sector Together.

MLA North East, in partnership with the regional development agency One
NorthEast, has developed DiSCS-UK (Digital Services for the Cultural Sector).
www.DiSCS-UK.info is a digital and IT knowledge resource - an interactive
website which connects commercial suppliers of digital and IT services with
museums, libraries, archives and cultural organisations.

This unique, easy to use, wide-ranging online resource offers advice and
guidance on how to select and work with suppliers through the Supplier Selector
toolkit built in conjunction with UKOLN, through to the supplier directory
which lists 80 companies offering 219 services.    The site is updated daily
with all the latest notices, terminology, downloads and training events.

Training events have been held to support commercial companies in understanding
and working with the cultural and heritage sector and so far 26 North East
companies have taken part.  The courses which have been developed include
website accessibility, digitisation of collections, and the care and handling
of objects.   All courses were delivered by nationally recognised experts in
their fields  including Jon Gooday of  AbilityNet who has worked with the BBC
on  "My Web, My Way" who deliverd the website accessibility training.

19 digital business's have been awarded MLA North East's Supplier Training
Scheme (STS) quality marks - an accreditation recognised by the sector, many
for more than one training course.

Comments from heritage sector organisations working with commercial companies
include:
 "There is no doubt we have gained a greater awareness of the skills and
expertise available in the private sector as a result of using DiSCS-UK. We
were surprised at how cost effective outsourcing elements of digitisation could
be and we would definitely factor this into future digitisation projects."
Project Officer, Gateshead Libraries

"It's been a new way of working - using a contractor - and one which I would
advocate, enabling us to deliver a small but important project, through an
intensive and concentrated timescale." Service Manager, Stockton Council
Museums Services

We are now working to promote DiSCS-UK to all museums, libraries, and archives
across the country. The supplier directory will be opened up in 2007 to allow
registration of suppliers from outside the North East.

For further information visit Digital Services for the Cultural Sector at the
address below or email [log in to unmask]  .
Digital Services for the Cultural Sector: www.DiSCS-UK.info

June Parker
Project Officer Virtual Digitisation Centre
MLA North East
House of Recovery
Bath Lane
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE4 5SQ

dd:    0191 269 7981
t      0191 2221661
f      0191 2614725

LEADERSHIP : ADVOCACY : STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT

If you are visiting MLA North East offices for a meeting, training, or just a
chat, please let us know beforehand if you have any access needs or
requirements.

www.MLANorthEast.org.uk
www.DiSCS-UK.info
www.thenortheast.com
www.wellinever.info
www.tomorrows-history.com

the system manager.
All incoming and outgoing e-mails are monitored for the presence of
profanity and racist remarks, pornographic, sexually explicit or obscene material, and unsolicited content or spam.
www.mimesweeper.com
City of Newcastle website:-  http://www.newcastle.gov.uk
Newcastle Schools website:- http://www.newcastle-schools.org.uk
Visit NewcastleGateshead:- http://www.visitnewcastle.co.uk