-----Original Message-----
From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Landau
Sent: Mon 15 January 2007 10:37
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] More Information Sharing

It is not a very good example as far as Data Protection is concerned, but I
am sure that an example could have been created for living people where
linkage of information between departments might have been useful - although
whether it would be desirable would be another matter.

After all, how many times do people complain about bureaucracy and the
different departments that one has to ring up. In a way the argument is
saying that bureaucracy protects people's liberty - which it does (ie not
having one vast single Government dept) - although I am not quite sure
members of the public might see it that way. Of course, the public might
want it both ways - which is not unusual.

And presumably the restrictions which are in place because of such concerns
do then hamper exchange of information after someone dies - after all they
were formerly living and presumably those checks don't suddenly disappear
because they have just died.

Indeed a good way to obtain information about a living person might be to
claim that they had just died! ;)

Nick Landau