A lesson for all: don't write stupid things about people in emails.

Robin Page, farming campaigner, has made a request under "information laws"
(I read in somewhere else that it was Data Protection, but today's Guardian
says FOI - I suspect it was DP) for files held by Gloucestershire Police. To
their credit, Gloucester provided Mr Page with, among other things, an email
in which a frustrated copper writes that he hopes Mr Page gets eaten by a
crocodile whilst on holiday.

It was clearly a joke, but it's probably not a good idea to make such jokes
in emails about anybody, especially not someone who has access to the mass
media. Anyway, Mr Page is looking for compensation which he may not get, but
if you're looking for examples to remind your staff why they should think
before writing emails. The story is covered in today's Guardian, but I think
it was in either Saturday or Sunday's Telegraph as well - search their
websites if you want more.

Tim Turner
Data Protection / FOI Officer
Legal and Property Services
Wigan Council

the system manager.

MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses using Sophos
anti-virus software.

www.mimesweeper.com
www.sophos.com