From: Oliver Belcher <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Should be manditory reading in all undergraduate classes...
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 16:40:00 -0500

Colleagues,

Following the advice of Noam Chomsky, several months ago I stopped
reading the main "A" section of the NY Times ("politics") and instead
opted for the "C" section: business.  In this respect, Chomsky is
right: 'all the news that is fit to print' seems to appear in the
pages less likely to be read by the majority of NY Times readers, but
instead likely to be read by what can loosely be dubbed 'the elites'
who are concerned with investment returns.  An interesting article on
the cost of war in relation to other social programs appeared
yesterday in this section, and has proven to be a rare display of
'investigative reporting' (note: it appears in the Economix editorial
section) by the Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/17/business/17leonhardt.html?em&ex=1169269200&en=0d6743c864e8ea1b&ei=5087%0A

The graphic that accompanies the article is particularly effective.

Cheers!
Oliver.
--
Oliver Christian Belcher
MA Student

"Communication is a successful misunderstanding." Jacques Lacan

"Love is giving something you don't have to someone you don't know."
Jacques Lacan

"The desperate situation of society in which I live fills me with
hope." Karl Marx