From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of David Fryer
Sent: 02 January 2007 15:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: critical reading on everyday psychiatry?

Happy New Year

Can anyone recommend a good book for the following purposes, please?

Some of us who are members of an expressive arts mental health group in Scotland, plan to meet in the new year in a 'book group' to read, think about and critically discuss the diagnoses some of us have been given by psychiatrists and the broader context of psychiatry and psy-professions. We are looking for recommendations of a book or books to use. We have three requirements of such a book:

First, we do need a book which really clearly explicates the so-called symptoms, diagnostic categories, common pharmaceutical and other interventions etc. which are actually deployed by psychiatrists and others.

Secondly, we also need a book written within a critical frame of reference, which does itself not subscribe to the medical model of mental ill-health but is informed by wider societal and justice considerations.

Thirdly, we need a book which will not disable us through use of a lot of jargon, very complicated sentence structure etc.

Does anyone know of an accessible book about mental illness which gets to grip with everyday diagnoses and treatments made in the UK whilst supporting and promoting ideologically critical thinking?

The closest we have got so far is: Key Concepts in Mental Health (Key Concepts) by David Pilgrim (Paperback - Feb 2005). This is really very interesting but a little more general than we want.

David Heeley and Mary Boyle have already been recommended.

Can anyone suggest any other book we might consider?
David
David Fryer
University of Stirling
FK9 4LA
Scotland
+44 (0) 1786 467650 (tel)
+44 (0) 1786 467641 (fax)
The University of Stirling is a university established in Scotland by charter at Stirling, FK9 4LA. Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not disclose, copy or deliver this message to anyone and any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply email. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.
___________________________________ COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK. To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML For any problems or queries, contact the list moderator Rebekah Pratt on [log in to unmask]

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com ___________________________________ COMMUNITYPSYCHUK - The discussion list for community psychology in the UK. To unsubscribe or to change your details visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/COMMUNITYPSYCHUK.HTML For any problems or queries, contact the list moderator Rebekah Pratt on [log in to unmask]