A follow up to this (for what it's worth) is that it's sometimes easier
to solve a structure by MR from a homologous structure determined by
experimental phases than it is to solve the initial structure by SeMet,
MIR, etc.

An example is the case of the structure determination of the second
isoform of aspartate beta-semialdehyde dehydrogenase from Vibrio
cholerae (vcASADH2). We had 2 Angstrom data and three molecules in the
asu with <30% seq id to the previously determined structures and tried
MR for quite a while without success. Then we made very slow progress
with SeMet and other derivatives for much longer than I would like to
admit.

Once we decided to switch to the Methanococcus jannaschii ortholog (~40%
seq. id to the vcASDAH2) we made much better progress. The structure of
the MjASADH SeMet derivative was determined in a matter of weeks
(Faehnle et al JMB '05) and the structure of the vcASADH2 ortholog was
determined shortly thereafter (publication forthcoming).

In the age of ultra-rapid MolBiol, evaluating other orthologs or
constructs may be faster than sweating over a single construct.

Jeff