On Wednesday 24 January 2007 11:12, Daniel Anderson wrote:
> An IUCr nomenclature committee once recommended eradication of the
> "B-factor". Trueblood, et al. Acta Cryst (1996) A52, 770-781.
> Whether or not the factor of 8 pi squared can be eradicated,
> the publication is worth reading because it discusses what is modeled
> by Ueq (times 8 pi squared = B), and it has some historical information.
>
> Well, "eradication" is what I understood.

I always took it to be a recommendation for use the term
"atomic displacement parameter", abbreviated ADP.
The point being that ADP is a more correct description of
what is being modeled than "temperature factor", since it
includes displacement arising from more than one physical
phenomenon.   This is stated explicitly in the summary
recommendations (1) and (6).

The only "eradication"  that I see is in recommendations (7) and (8),
which say that anisotropic ADPs should always use the
 U^{ij} or U_{ij}  notation rather than any variant of  B or beta.