Message
Sorry realised my draft documents have gone out to the whole listing (not sure if they will be attached).

Keren
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Harbach Geoff
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: KSF for Assistive Technologists

Hi Keren,

Yes I would like a copy please.

Many thanks,

Geoff.
-----Original Message-----
From: A discussion list for Assistive Technology professionals. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keren Down
Sent: 29 January 2007 11:38
To: [log in to unmask]

FAST is currently drafting a feasibility study for a workforce development strategy for the field of AT, including a review of the current gaps in relation to an AT framework for workforce competence.

The draft study is currently out with the planning groups (the sector skills councils (care and health) Department of Health and Children's Workforce Development Council) and the reference group (mainly AT Forum members and other education providers who have been providing input over the last couple of years. Once its been tidied up and a summary written (as the potential application is hugh and consequently the draft study is pretty hefty) then we can get it up on the FAST site (and perhaps that of the Sector Skills Councils) for wider comment. Then its a matter of securing the funding for the proposed work.

The framework approach is built on exactly the range of skills/ competence that you describe and which is at the heart of the Trusted Assessor approach. I think it is also likely that in the competence demonstration and related education provision we would want to ensure people had support to build hands-on technical competence and confidence (if they don't already have it)  (this is something we have talked about previously Geoff and in fact your comments kicked off this proposal for me).

The wide application of the framework is required to address the problems with career development that have developed and which were highlighted in the FAST/ AT Forum report from last November (available to download on the FAST website). This has implications for the amount of work required to gain consensus on taking it forward.

I have little doubt that something along the lines we proprose will be implemented - if only because,  the changes that are likely as a result of the service remodelling for community services and wheelchair services will require regulation/ standardisation of workforce competence agross statutory/ voluntary and industry providers. It therefore goes wider than the KSF but will need to relate to this framework of course.

I can send through a copy of the draft report to anyone who emails me - but you need to bear in mind that it is draft (several typos and text a bit clunky in places) and also has yet to receive the endorsement of the planning and reference groups.

Cheers.

Keren
Keren Down
Director
Foundation for Assistive Technology - FAST
12 City Forum
250 City Road
London EC1V 8AF

Tel:   +44 (0) 20 7253 3303
Fax:  +44 (0) 20 7253 5990

Reg. Charity Number: 1061636

Why not go to the FAST website at http://www.fastuk.org to find out more about FAST and how you can be involved.

To stay up to date with the latest news on assistive technology why not subscribe to the AT Forum's monthly email bulletin by sending an email to: [log in to unmask].  Check out previous bulletins at http://www.fastuk.org/atforum.php.