Dear Colleagues

Not being an archivist I hesitate to ask the following but your help would
be appreciated.

The 'Charles Close Society Archives' (material relating to the Ordnance
Survey maps http://www.charlesclosesociety.org.uk/ccsarchives.html ) are
deposited in Cambridge University Library Map Department. They have been
catalogued by a volunteer (in an Excel spreadsheet) and the catalogue will
soon be mounted on A2A.

The volunteer will receive a copy of the catalogue back as an EAD file.

We need to be able to view *and add to* this file (the archive grows by
several hundred items a year).

Do you have any advice on viewing/cataloguing software which would enable
us to do this?

We have identified:
- Oxygen
- Note Tab
- Xmetal

but have no experience of any.  I have spoken to archivists in Cambridge
but they are unable to help directly.

It would seem sensible to keep the file in a format that would allow us to
send regular updates to A2A which they could then load with minimum
additional processing.

The catalogue is fairly simple though currently has ca. 7,000 records.
There is the possibility of a small budget. Whatever we use needs to work
with Windows.

Many thanks

Anne

Anne Taylor
Head of Map Department, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge
CB3 9DR
Tel: 01223-333041.   Fax: 01223-333160.   email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/deptserv/maps/
NOTE NEW VAT NUMBER: G.B. 823 8476 09