From: Arch-Metals Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of James Brothers
Sent: 26 January 2007 02:39
To: Peter King
Subject: Re: American pre-Revolution iron production

Even if this data is accurate, and I suspect it is more of a SWAG than based on real data, that only comes to 2.400 tons a year. That is the production of only 3-4 18C blast furnaces (maybe as many as 6). Virginia has at least sixteen going during the colonial period (admittedly not all at once), but that still leaves a great deal of iron for the local market.

Also keep in mind Bining was written in 1938. There are a number of ironworks that he didn't know about. And people like Peter King keep turning up new sources all the time. This is a major problem with much of what has been written about the colonial iron industry over the past 50 years. Except where it is a case study, like Bonds of Iron, much of the "data", and almost all of the background history, is taken from Bining (38) and Kathleen Bruce (1931). Both are great places to start, but Bruce even said in her introduction that her work was a first cut and she hoped that others would follow to fill in the gaps and correct her errors.

Come to the Ironmasters Meeting at MAAC in March and hear some of the more recent research.

James Brothers, RPA