Even if this data is accurate, and I suspect it is more of a SWAG
than based on real data, that only comes to 2.400 tons a year. That
is the production of only 3-4 18C blast furnaces (maybe as many as
6). Virginia has at least sixteen going during the colonial period
(admittedly not all at once), but that still leaves a great deal of
iron for the local market.

Also keep in mind Bining was written in 1938. There are a number of
ironworks that he didn't know about. And people like Peter King keep
turning up new sources all the time. This is a major problem with
much of what has been written about the colonial iron industry over
the past 50 years. Except where it is a case study, like Bonds of
Iron, much of the "data", and almost all of the background history,
is taken from Bining (38) and Kathleen Bruce (1931). Both are great
places to start, but Bruce even said in her introduction that her
work was a first cut and she hoped that others would follow to fill
in the gaps and correct her errors.

Come to the Ironmasters Meeting at MAAC in March and hear some of the
more recent research.

James Brothers, RPA