From: Hugh Morrison [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 27 December 2006 16:22
To: Hannah Lievesley
Cc: Mary Bryce
Subject: Re: Fw: Tuition Fee Loan Payments and N I numbers

Hannah

We have been looking at the issue of "no validated NINO - no fee loan"
and have decided that, for this year, we will go ahead and pay the feel
loan for all students where we have had a NINO, regardless of whether it
has been validated by the DWP.

The intention was to pay the loan based on whether we had a DWP
validated NINO, however this year the DWP only confirm whether it is
valid or not. Next year we are changing the processes we have in place
with them and we will verify the NINOs weekly all through the summer,
(rather than monthly) and, more importantly, where the NINO does not
match, the DWP will provide us with the correct NINO. The numbers who
haven't provided any NINO at all are running at around 0.8% and we
continue to chase this group.

Therefore it was felt that for this year, due to the understandably
concern from some institutions about the high number of non validated
NINOs, it makes more sense to only block payments where we have no NINO
at all.

We will shortly communicate this formally to the sector and are looking
at making a change to this year reporting to reflect this change.

I hope this gives you some reassurance.

regards

Hugh Morrison
Funding Services Manager