Hi Deb,
We ask for details of religion on our EO Monitoring forms and inform respondents that we are not legally required to monitor it but it helps us to make adjustments where appropriate. The response has been good and most people provide the information. We do not monitor sexual orientation but we are considering doing so in the future. I think that the culture of the organisation is an important consideration before asking for this; I believe you need to be confident that the seed falls on fertile ground and you are not lambasted with "PC gone mad" comments. It depends alot on the diversity awareness levels and any 'wins' you've had and this will vary between institutions.
Anthony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anthony Houldsworth
Diversity and Disability Advisor
The Institute of Cancer Research
Sir Richard Doll Building
15 Cotswold Road,
Sutton, SM2 5NG
DL: 020 8722 4129
Tel: 020 7352 8133 Extn 4129
Fax: 020 8722 4048
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 17/01/2007 10:17:26 >>>

Good morning all, We are about to begin the process of requesting information from all staff about their sexuality and religion, assuming that we can get agreement with the Unions that this activity will proceed.   Staff will, of course, have the option ofrefusing to answer and no inferences will be drawn from that response. I just wondered if other institutions which have already undertaken this process would let us know how it was received in their institution * I am interested in both positive and negative responses please.
regards, Deb
Deb Viney, Diversity Advisor,
Deputy Secretary's Office,
School of Oriental and African Studies,
University of London
Tel: 020 7074 5007   Fax: 020 7074 5019
Email: [log in to unmask]
Visiting Address:                              Postal Address:
Vernon Square                             Thornhaugh Street
1 Penton Rise                                    Russell Square
LONDON                                           LONDON
WC1X 9EW                                      WC1H 0XG

This e-mail message is confidential and for use by the addressee only.  If the message is received by anyone other than the addressee, please return the message to the sender by replying to it and then delete the message from your computer and network.