See comment below the original message.

==============Original message text===============
> or - do i have to estimate & resclice images in the coreg step or is
it
> enough to just estimate (by the way, reslicing "blows" up my single
epi
> images to a size of the t1 image (160mb) and therefore it takes
hours).

As Simon points out, you don't need to do any reslicing at this stage
(maybe I'll take out the Coregister and Reslice option from the next SPM
release).
===========End of original message text===========

Please don't take out this option!  This option is highly useful when creating activation maps to be superimposed upon a subject's own, unmodified brain in addition to creating activation maps for superimposing on a normalized template.  (I use this, for example, to coregister / reslice a flair to the SPGR structural image when working with clinical patients.)

Doug Burman