Yes, those were the days. I remember Morris Zapp in David Lodge's Changing
Places thinking he is on fire because he sees his breath condensing in the
frozen air of a Rummidge bedroom. I recall one Birmingham house that was
so cold that it was actually warmer to stand outside.

There may have been a little ice age in the seventeenth century but even
today England can be penetratingly cold thanks to the Damp (for which
low-lying Oxford is notorious).

Best wishes,

Richard Ramsey