Here, rather belatedly, are the quotations for this week (Dec 10th to 16th):

1. '…What's the use o' them advantages to you ? Man the Oppressor comes along, an' sees you're likely an' good-lookin', an' grinds you to the face o' the earth. What for ? For his own pleasure: for his own convenience ! Young an' old, black an' bay, white an' grey, there's no distinctions made between us. We're ground together under the remorseless teeth o' the engines of oppression !'…

2.
…he behaved himself very politely, and ate bread dipped in salt, and was petted all round the table, moving gingerly; and they drank his health, because he had done more to win the cup than any man or horse on the ground.

3. '…You misunderstand me as usual, love. Work's the essence of life; but to expend precious un-returning vitality and real labour against imaginary danger, that is heart-breakingly absurd ! If I can only teach a - a little toleration - a little ordinary kindness…'

The sources of last week's extracts (Dec 3rd to 9th) are as follows:

1.  (...The twelve Government elephants rocked at their pickets outside the big mud-walled stables ...)  This is from "My Lord the Elephant", in Many Inventions.

2. (...The huge limbs moved as steadily as pistons, eight feet to each stride, and the wrinkled skin of the elbow-points rustled...)  This is from "Toomai of the Elephants" in The Jungle Book.

3.  (...He kicked backward at a mud wall that crumbled at the stroke, and, crumbling, melted to yellow mud under the torrents of rain....)  This is from "Letting in the Jungle" in The Second Jungle Book.

If you are following the progress of the NRG you may be interested to know that we have just published Geoffrey Annis's notes on all fifteen chapters of The Light that Failed.

Good wishes to all, John R