I'm trying to choose between Transana and Transcriber to recommend to
our student for transcription (and maybe analysis) of audio
recordings of interviews. I cannot find any comparisons of the
programs. Both seem to be alive and widely used (Transana discussion
board makes it look more alive). I came to terms with Transcriber
faster than with Transana.

So far we have been an Atlas/Ti shop. Many of the transcripts
produced will be exported to Atlas, so the ease and extent of
exportation is an issue for us. On the other hand, both programs seem
to provide for the analysis (coding., annotation,
search&retrieve,...) needs also, and some of us are dreaming of
working on the audio-material directly instead of transcribing
everything, so a comparison of these features would also be welcome.

 -Timo Harmo, Faculty of Social Sciences, U of Helsinki