Dear Jack,

Your concentration on the etymologically conceptual excavation and analysis of education, learning and their implications are remarkably interesting.

 I thank you for your emphasis on the shared language as language can be, in the words of Antoine de Saint-Exupery, the source of misunderstanding.

 I’d like to share the following to see how my understanding can be enhanced through establishing an attempt for our shared understanding.

 Richmond and Roach (1992) suggest that social influence is by definition inherent in the role of a teacher. According to them, in order to have a lasting impact on student learning, teachers must facilitate academic growth while, at the same time, creating an environment conducive to learning. That is, we must establish and maintain positive teacher-student relationships if we hope to have a positive influence on learning. In this sense, teachers are constantly influencing learners’ learning. Some may be aware of techniques, skills, knowledge, practices, strategies, classroom management, their use of power in the classroom, etc. while others may be oblivious of their influencing prism.

Latin root of education, educere, connotes the bringing forth or leading out of what is inside each child. Heidegger says teaching is to let the learners learn. I think this act of letting would be of great avail in that it can lead to learners’ independent thinking instead of forcing them, albeit artistically, to abide by the prescriptive and proscriptive modes of the teacher.

In the meantime, if we look at the educational influences in terms of learning as people like Peter Senge’s learning organization suggests, that requires a fundamental change in perspective. That change of perspective is what I call affecting the quality of life being the highest art. If we go with an ontological system that translates the learner’s meaning beyond his/her natural self, Do we as educators not have this mission at the apex of our agenda and in this sense are we not supposed to influence learning? ( Whether we have the tangible evidence (in the common sense) or not to prove this, we, having thought of this mission and being ontologically soaked into that mission, we are influencing the learning of the learners). This influence may unfold itself, in one level ,at the stage of intentionality where the educator's intention would embrace the action  and the action, itself, would penetrate those who seek out connectivity to the sublime self, albeit from numerous avenues of learning: the paths to influence learning would be as infinite as the number of the people or as extensive as the number of the breathing.

Again, I bring another published poem of mine

(Published in English Quarterly 2001-2002)

The narrative of ‘we’ and ‘I’

(We and I took a shower of hermeneutics last night.)

By: Sayyed Mohsen Fatemi

One day in the finale of the melody, on the eve of composing, we drove into the golden lucubrating composition of trepidation, petrifaction and intimidation.

We lingered on the portico of explicitness to watch the ambiguity of elucidation.

We went through the purgatory of glamour.

Deep in the purples of the island of dormancy, we came across the illusive rhinoceros crooning with deer.

We heard a crocodile with the tears of a dragonfly, we crossed the bridge of absolutism, and we mingled with trinkets of rebellion, insurgency and objection. We saw the girls of arguments and demonstrations pluck us from leaves of syllogism. We slept in the jaconet of angels as far as the sunset of zephyr.

Isolation fell upon us and we were circumvented and surrounded by desolation and seclusion. The superannuated rhapsodies and ravishment began gaping, waters went up their knees, and amidst the dampness of allegory, the ocean of metaphor displayed its parlance.

In ourselves, we found the alley of proportion, symmetry and isometry; we witnessed the white cloud of liberty, the bantam, unpretentious, diminutive, mignon bird of happiness, beatitude and bliss.

We heard the turbulence of fire, the discipline of the plants. We milked our bamboozlement, consternation, and bafflement.

We castled the leopard of detachment in the gypsy like cage of hubris. We abstained from juxtaposing the sun and the candle.

We conceptualized spring even when the façade of countenance was brim with tears. We walked through the farm of ebullience when our heart was in dire need of a beacon light of hope. We saw the pulses of the rabbits’ heart relying on the palpitation of our walks. We extinguished the sunset to say no to loneliness, we awakened the sunrise to appear in the altar.

“We” changed into “I” and “I” changed into “We”. We went through monism. I embraced monotheism. We galloped in the galaxy of locution; I launched satellite to the solar system of diction. We examined the Milky Way of subjectivity. I played with the Lesser Bear and the Greater Bear. We had intercourse with Venus. I made love with the moon. We lied down on the tiles of sentiments; I gazed at the tintinnabulation of elation.

We habituated the brutality of sentiments to the urbanization of emotion. I imagined an oasis on the brink of estrangement.

We yelled in the avenues of denial, abjuration and abnegation. I scuffled with tycoons of submission, obedience and acquaisance.

We spread our hearts in the balcony of our expectation. I waited for the cascading curly hair of the lyrics in the veranda of blossoms.

We saw God taking shower in the tears of His beloved. We drove in to a celibate candle which never experienced marrying a butterfly.

I crashed in to the sheep gazing the footstep of the wolf. We yearned for chandeliers. I ached for fruits tasting like miniature.

We danced with apothegm. I larked with apotheosis.

Copy Right with the Author.

Sayyed Mohsen Fatemi, Ph.D.

Lecturer in Language Education, Psychology and  Communication

The University of British Columbia

Tel: 604 2224495

Emails: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]