-----Original Message-----
From: BERA Practitioner-Researcher
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alon
Serper
Sent: Thursday, 14 December 2006 6:22 a.m.
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Educational

Alan - I would replace the ed to ing - namely, detached to detaching;
fixed to fixing: And space to one's subject of interest:
Conceptualising and approaching human existence and the human subject
in my case.  'Biology and ecology, human relationships?' in your case?
Otherwise I fear we abstract into a theory of all theories.

I still think life has to flow somewhere: A clear purpose and
intention.  Otherwise it is just a big Kierkekaardian bore.  The idea
of just floating in space with no clear purpose and direction scares
me.  Anyone can flow somewhere in space: What is important to me is
where it is flowing to.  I am not sure the question of fixed static or
flowing and transforming is an issue anymore, at least not in my field
of interest and purpose.  The living/transforming has won.  I believe
the question now is flowing where?

My point is that poetry can and should be used for scientific analysis.
  Poetry is aesthetic but why, for what purpose: And how is it
epistemological and educational, convincing and coherent?!. Alon

Quoting Alan Rayner <[log in to unmask]>:

> Dear Alon,
>
> I very much like this emphasis on the artistic and lyrical as a vital
> inclusion of any deep enquiry into the fundamental nature of human life,
> taking you beyond the realm of detached objectivism. I feel that the story
> of how you are transforming your originally purely analytical perspectives
> by this means exemplifies the transition from fixed to living 'standards
of
> judgement' and could provide the basis for a highly creative and original
> thesis. I might liken this to 'ice melting through becoming receptive to
> warmth', 'salt dissolving into solution through exposure to water' and a
> 'seed germinating into a flower'. There is this vital transition from the
> crystalline or latent form to expansive fluid form, a transition which is
> not the 'annihilation' that positivistic thinkers may fear. In terms of
> 'inclusionality', I see this transformation as arising most fundamentally
> from the dynamic embodiment of space as 'immaterial presence', opening the
> door to the creative possibility of unfixed, non-Euclidean geometry.
>

> Warmest
>

> Alan
>
> --On 13 December 2006 14:49 +0000 Alon Serper <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I was watching Federico Fellini's 'La Strada' yesterday: An incredible,
>> classic, poetic and artistic film but not so much educational or
>> epistemological with no clear message and insight, other than the usual
>> Fellinian anti Church messages.  And certainly not analysis.  It is full
>> of artistic symbols (e.g., sea).
>>
>> I am using it to reflect on the difference between poetic and artistic
>> and epistemological, phenomenological, educational and analytical that
>> uses poetry and art.
>>
>> I have been drawn to art in my heuristics of human existence so as to
>> analyse and delve inside it as an educational exercise and rebelled
>> against my original training that told me to leave the poetic and
>> artistic for the analytic, empirical and scientific.
>>
>> I transformed myself from being a very cold, impersonal scientist to an
>> artist of human existence. I am overwhelmed this transformation.
>>
>> My intentions are still educational and epistemological though as a
>> psychologist and the constructor of my heuristics of human existence.
Alon