When a friend Paul Duller wanted to convert my atlas into a web-site (1998
so a long time ago now)I decided to buy back the copyright (plus had to
buy back all unsold copies of the book)from the publisher-indeed a couple
of publishers along from the one that I signed my contract with- before we
could legally go ahead and give the book away on the web.
However to free oneself from a publisher especially a big one is very
liberating!!! And the view from the moral high ground is splendid if a
little resticted because all the other people standing here!
cheers
Rob Ixer