A few weeks ago, while doing the research for a new DVD on Glendalough,
Martin Critchley was asking about figures for hand drilling rates in
hard rock, I can't remember if the issue was resolved and figures
produced.

However, (ironically!) whilst researching the script for the final
stages of I.A.Recordings forthcoming DVD "'Mongst Mines and Mine
Explorers" which will replace their very popular "The SCMC in Cornwall";
I came across the following in Burrow and Thomas's famous book of a
similar name!

Thomas is describing a hand-boring contest held in Camborne in 1888.
" A large block of granite ... was obtained ...
Eight minutes were allowed each "pare" [Cornish term for a team of
miners]; all were to use steel of one inch diameter, but the size and
shape of the "bits", or cutting edges, were left to the discretion of
the competitors.

The prizes were awarded for the following results:-

Prize  Mine            Depth bored      Time      Blows/min

1      Tincroft        13 inches    6 min 43 sec   91
2      Dolcoath        12 1/8 "     7 min 18 sec  130
3      Carn Brea       12 3/8 "     8 min  0 sec  117
4      South Crofty    11 1/8 "     8 min  0 sec  112
5      Cook's Kitchen   9 1/2 "     8 min  0 sec  107

The Tincroft men were the only ones who 'slung round' when striking."

It is interesting that the winners had the lowest number of blows per
minute, does anyone know what is meant by 'slung round' ?

Cheers

Kelvin Lake
Shropshire Caving & Mining Club      ^o^
& I.A.Recordings