George,

I remember the idea of the heads being at the Lateran.  Here is a brief
summary off the Web
[http://romanchurches.wikia.com/wiki/San_Giovanni_in_Laterano#High_altar]:

High altar

The Gothic baldachino is by Giovanni di Stefano, and was made c. 1367,
under Pope Urban V. It has a relic chamber at the top, in which the
heads, or part of the heads, of Sts Peter and Paul are preserved
according to tradition. They may have been removed during the French
occupation of Rome in the late 18th century. There are two statues of
saints above at each corner above the four columns. A fresco runs around
the baldachino, with four scenes from the New Testament and an
additional Marian scene, painted by Barna di Siena. The scenes depicted
are The Annunciation, The Nativity, The Crucifixion and The Coronation
of the Blessed Virgin.

Part of a table said to be from the home of St Pudens, with whom St
Peter the Apostle stayed, is incorporated in the altar. St Peter is said
to have celebrated the Eucharist at this table.

The altar is a Papal altar, reserved for the Holy Father.

Thomas Izbicki
Research Services Librarian
 and Gifts-in-Kind Officer
Eisenhower Library
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, MD 21218
(410)516-7173
fax (410)516-8399

>>> George FERZOCO <[log in to unmask]> 12/8/2006 8:51 AM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

Thanks, Christopher, for putting your finger on the most important
aspect of this entire case.

I was thinking the same thing in one of the articles I read about
this most recent announcement, where it is stated that the heads of
BOTH Peter and Paul are believed to be in St John Lateran, but nobody

knows where. How on earth would such ultra-super-duper-first-class
relics be lost? Or did someone wilfully cause this to happen?

George

--
George FERZOCO

On 8 Dec 2006, at 13:30, Christopher Crockett wrote:

> medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> From: George FERZOCO <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> Any thoughts as to the reasons behind this echoed news reporting,
and
> why it is catching people's attention now as opposed to 18 months
> ago?
>

> interesting as this question is, in and of itself (and well
> answered by J.B.),
> of more interest to those of us of a middlevil Bent of Mind is the
> issue of
> *How* (on earth) could the tomb have been "lost" in the first place?
>
> assuming that it was, indeed, thought to be the tomb of Paul --who
> was not an
> insignificant Player in the Xien Tradition, if my memory serves--
> it must have
> been Revered as such for many centuries.
>
> how could it be that that Reverence *stopped*?
>
> who would have the Audacity, say, to leave feast day offices at the

> tomb out
> of some new revision to the church's ordinal?
>
> list Collegue Jim Bugslag has made a Cottage Industry out of
> studying the many
> and various examples of "cult supression" (my term, not his) at
> Chartres in
> the 16th-18th cc., but it seems to me that this example of St. Paul

> --at his
> tomb in his Major church in *Rome*-- is really quite Beyond the
> Pail, and in a
> class by itself, supression-wise.
>
> thoughts?

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]
> In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write
to:

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]