Rosemary Hayes wrote:

> The first review listed below may be of interest to those on the list
> working on the sixteenth century.  Is the second review by 'our' John
> Briggs?

I'm afraid not - that's J.H.Y. Briggs, formerly of the University of Keele -
I keep track of these things because I have been confused with him before.
(I think Lisa Jardine made that mistake when I was talking to her...)

I have also been confused with Professor John C. Briggs of the Department of
English, University of California, Riverside.

Although I'm not quite sure who I was confused with when I was invited to
contribute the entry on 17th-century witchcraft to an encyclopaedia of the
history of science!

But I do feel qualified to talk about the sixteenth century - having been
lambasted by Patrick Collinson in the Letters page of the TLS!

John Briggs

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]