With regards to the repository infrastructure, no-one is would deny
that WCAG (or other appropriate standards) should rule. However,
arguing about the contents of repositories is like trying to apply
standards to stable doors after the horse has bolted. It is the
PUBLISHERS that determine the house styles and format rules, not the
repositories. They can do little, if anything, to improve the
accessibility of the material that they hold. Yes, they can apply
post-hoc PDF - XHTML conversions, but these rarely improve matters;
you need to build in issues of accessibility into the authoring process.

I for one would love it if there could be a concerted effort to get
publishers to take these issues seriously. I have tried to encourage
(and mandate!)  XHTML submissions for conferences that I have run,
but it really needs the backing of publishers to be taken seriously.

Now, what happens when it comes to data repositories? I don't think
that WCAG was specified with this in mind!
--
Les