From: The Health Equity Network (HEN) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Charles Normand
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How to evaluate whether interventions reduce inequalities?

Anne Marie

There have been several sensible suggestions.  Just one small point regarding Gini co-efficient type measures (including Kakwani etc).  Experience shows that failure to be interested in kurtosis can lead to distorted results.  A recent Irish study on equity in access to GPs concluded that the current arrangements compared favorably with other EU countries, but this happened because access for the very poor is very good, and this hid the fact that access for the fairly poor is very poor.

Charles Normand

Edward Kennedy Professor of Health Policy and Management

University of Dublin

Trinity College

3-4 Foster Place

Dublin 2

+353 1 896 3075

Please note the new telephone number - the old one no longer works.