-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Harris-Roxas [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 05 December 2006 11:18
To: Terri Roche
Cc: Jo Abbott
Subject: RE: How to evaluate whether interventions reduce inequalities?
(Equity Focused HIA)

Dear Terri,

Thanks for your thoughful reply.  I think your email response may have
been sent
solely to me instead of to the entire HIANet listserv - it would be a
shame if
the others didn't read your comments.

On an unrelated note I'd love to find out more about your HIA-related
work.  We
are expanding the section of our website on completed HIAs - if you have
any
you'd like to share with other HIA practitioners we'd be happy to host
the reports.

http://www.hiaconnect.edu.au

Best wishes,

Ben Harris-Roxas

Quoting Terri  Roche <[log in to unmask]>:

> Dear Anne- Marie
>
> I do not have any suggestions regarding evaluation of specific
> interventions but I felt it was such a great question I was prompted
> respond (though I am far from an expert. Using the principle of
working
> within ones sphere of influence as a PCT we have a HIA development
> worker to support HIA across the borough. To date she has not
undertaken
> any retrospective studies to evaluate impact of existing interventions
> but the process has been positive in maximizing the positive and
> minimizing the negative impact of interventions.
>
> We have also had some success using Health Equity Audit particularly
> around CHD. We are currently undertaking 5 HEAs on various topics such
> as Breast feeding and access to dental services. We are trying to
> involve partners in the process to gain organizational commitment. We
> should have a full report in about 18 months if anyone is interested.
>
> I attach last years CHD HEA for your information, if people want this
> year's data, it will be available soon.
>
> Regards
>
> Terri Roche

inequalities?
> [...]
>
> Following on from Alex's suggestion please find more information on
> Equity
> Focused Health Impact Assessment (EFHIA) at:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ykjlz9
>
> Health impact assessment is widely regarded as having greatest
> usefulness
> when used in advance of a policy, program or project being
implemented.
> Though it can be used retrospectively, ex ante HIA is preferable
because
> it
> allows the maximum practical opportunity to influence decision-making
> and
> subsequent health impacts.
>
> As such I'm not sure if EFHIA will be exactly what you're loooking
for.
> I'm
> sure there are other people on this list who are well placed to advise
> you
> on other methods that have been developed with retrospective/ex post
> evaluation of effects on health inequalities specifically in mind.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ben
> --
> Alex Scott-Samuel wrote:
> Health impact assessment is a very effective way of doing this. Have a
> look
> at the Merseyside Guidelines and also the EPHIA methodology on our web
> site
> - www.ihia.org.uk
>
> Do also try googling Equity Focused Health Impact Assessment - this is
> an
> excellent Australian methodology
>
> Best wishes, Alex
> --
> Anne-Marie Bagnall wrote:
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts about how to evaluate whether an
> intervention
> reduces inequalities in health?
>
> It seems to me that we can evaluate whether an intervention is
> effective,
> and we can go some way towards evaluating the reach of an intervention
> i.e.
> whether it is used by certain disadvantaged groups, but can we
actually
> assess reliably whether an intervention is likely to reduce or even
> increase
> health inequalities? Because health inequalities seem to be increasing
> so it
> would be useful for decision makers to have some idea, not only about
> whether something is effective, but also whether it is in fact likely
> increase this gap?
>
> I'm sorry if this is a silly question or too simplistic. I've been
> puzzling
> over it for a while and thought it was time to ask the experts.
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Anne-Marie
> ----
> Ben Harris-Roxas
> Health Inequalities, Health Impact Assessment and Healthy Public
Policy
> Program (CHETRE)
> http://www.hiaconnect.edu.au
>
> UNSW Research Centre for Primary Health Care & Equity
> School of Public Health and Community Medicine
> University of New South Wales
> CRICOS Code 00098G
>
> Contact Details
> Phone (Main Office - Liverpool) +61 2 9828 6230 | Phone (UNSW Office)
> +61 2
> 9385 0118 | Fax +61 2 9828 6232 | Email [log in to unmask] |
> Skype
> ben_harris-roxas

Ben Harris-Roxas
Health Inequalities, Health Impact Assessment and Healthy Public Policy
Program
(CHETRE)
http://www.hiaconnect.edu.au

UNSW Research Centre for Primary Health Care & Equity
School of Public Health and Community Medicine
University of New South Wales
CRICOS Code 00098G

and

Division of Population Health
Sydney South West Area Health Service

Contact Details
Phone (Main Office - Liverpool) +61 2 9828 6230 | Phone (UNSW Office)
+61 2 9385
0118 | Fax +61 2 9828 6232 | Email [log in to unmask] | Skype
ben_harris-roxas

Postal Address
CHETRE
LMB 7103