Hello,
I finally managed to change the tomcat logging area by editing both
the server.xml and the catalina.sh to point where I wanted them to go.
Thanks for the replies and advice chaps, and thanks Brian for lending
me his dcache node to test things out on.

A word of warning to anyone who tries similar, I found that when I
edited the tomcat configs and then ran the dcache install.sh all my
edits were wiped (took me an age to figure that one out, I thought my
caffiene-deprived mind was just forgetting to save the changes I
made!). A plain dcache restart is all you seem to need to get the
tomcat changes in place.

cheers,
Matt
wondering where the hell his day went...