G’day!

Yes, that list is really out of date. There was a new one on O&G published this year, too:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6874/6/5

And its references 2 to 6 are similar, recent attempts to measure this.

The problem is, it also depends then in which health service you mean it. Some hospitals are no doubt better than others, for example. It differs from country to country – and some payment systems or regulatory systems make particular forms of evidence-based practice impossible. I live in a country for example where the consultation times are so short, the evidence about the best ways to communicate with patients must be applied only a small proportion of the time, because the structure of the service does not allow for it.

One thing I think is pretty certain though: the 90% claim is one of those types of statements that probably caused a lot of antibodies against EBM. Life’s just not that simple.

Ruth’s question is a really interesting one though: how do we know if we are making progress?

Hilda

Hilda Bastian

Ressortleiterin Gesundheitsinformation

Chefredakteurin: www.gesundheitsinformation.de

www.informedhealthonline.org

Head of Health Information Department

Editor in Chief:

www.informedhealthonline.org

www.gesundheitsinformation.de

Institut für Qualität und Wirtschaftlichkeit im Gesundheitswesen

Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care

Dillenburger Str. 27

D-51105 Köln, Germany

    tel:               + 49-221 / 35685-401

    fax:              + 49-221 / 35685-1