An article of interest related to this thread that I
just came across this morning:

Soc Sci Med. 2006 Aug;63(4):1084-96. Epub 2006 Mar 7.

'When I first came here, I thought medicine was black
and white': making sense
of medical students' ways of knowing.

Knight LV, Mattick K.

Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter,
Plymouth, Devon, UK.

Personal beliefs about what knowledge is and how we
understand, integrate and
apply knowledge (known as personal epistemologies) are
entrenched in the process
of decision-making. Evidence-based medicine in all its
forms brings with it the
need for an ever more sophisticated appreciation of
individual patients'
perspectives and 'scientific' perspectives within the
clinical encounter.
However, current theoretical perspectives on personal
epistemology focus more on
scientific ways of knowing where knowledge is
abstracted and logical. We
conducted semi-structured interviews to investigate
medical students' personal
epistemological thinking towards the end of their
second year of training at a
new medical school in the South West of England.
Whilst responses were varied,
students appeared to express predominantly simplistic
levels of epistemological
thinking according to current developmental models of
personal epistemology.
However, the process of professional identity
formation together with
epistemological thinking brought together both
scientific and experiential ways
of knowing in a way that has largely been ignored by
current theorists in the
domain of personal epistemology.

PMID: 16519978
--- Ronán Conroy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> One key element that has received less attention in
> this thread are
> the professional, social and ethical aspects of EBH.
> We tend to
> concentrate on the appraisal of individual studies,
> and to ignore the
> context in which that evidence is gathered
> (scientific and social)
> and the uses to which it is put.
>
> As a possible corrective, I would recommend these
> starting points:
>
> Ethics: Emmanuel and his colleagues' masterly JAMA
> paper. Every
> student should read it. We get students to appraise
> a paper ethically
> using a template derived from the Emmanuel criteria,
> and we are also
> redesigning our ethics committee application form
> around the paper.
> Paper free; start from here
>
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?

cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&dopt=Citation&list_uids=10819955

http://collections.plos.org/plosmedicine/diseasemongering-2006.php

http://www.pharmexec.com/pharmexec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=80917

> =========
> Ronán Conroy
> Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
> +353 (0) 1 402 2431
> +353 (0) 87 799 97 95
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronanconroy

Bill Cayley, Jr, MD MDiv     [log in to unmask]

Augusta Family Medicine      Home Address
  207 W Lincoln                3433 McIvor St
  Augusta, WI  54722           Eau Claire, WI  54701
  Work:  715-286-2270          Home:  715-830-0932
  Page:  715-838-7940          Cell:  715-828-4636