***cross-posted***

Hello, everyone.  I had been looking for a good example to show my students why it’s important to look at the linked Comments (letters to the editor) that one finds associated with some PubMed articles.   Here’s a nifty one I just found:

Original article:

Spira M. Otoplasty: what I do now--a 30-year perspective. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1999 Sep;104(3):834-40; discussion 841.

PMID: 10456539

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=PureSearch&db=pubmed&details_term=10456539%5BUID%5D

Comment (with illustrative photos, drawings, & text descriptions):

Corchado C, Infante J. A surgical technique for the correction of all types of prominent ears?

Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000 Sep;106(4):948-51. No abstract available. PMID: 11007419

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=PureSearch&db=pubmed&details_term=11007419%5BUID%5D

Here’s the example I do for Erratums; I don’t know how serious the dosage error is, but at least this illustrates the importance of always looking up the Erratum.

Original article:

Dupuis LL, Najdova M, Saunders EF. Retrospective appraisal of busulfan dose adjustment in children.

Bone Marrow Transplant. 2000 Dec;26(11):1143-7. Erratum in: Bone Marrow Transplant. 2003 Apr;31(8):729.

PMID: 11149723
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=PureSearch&db=pubmed&details_term=11149723%5BUID%5D

Erratum (dosage in article was reported as 4 times higher than actually administered):

Dupuis LL, Najdova M, Saunders EF. Retrospective appraisal of busulfan dose adjustment in children.

Bone Marrow Transplant. 2003 Apr;31(8):729. PMID: 12692614

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=PureSearch&db=pubmed&details_term=12692614%5BUID%5D

Please feel free to post this.

Take care,

Tanya

Tanya Feddern, MLIS, AHIP, MOT, OTR/L
http://www.geocities.com/nqiya/EBMbib.html
http://www.geocities.com/nqiya/index.html
Evidence-Based Medicine Assistant Professor; Reference & Education Services Librarian
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine, Louis Calder Memorial Library