The criticism of EBM would be that science is always political, it is just that some approaches explicitly recognise the political and ideological nature of what they are doing while others do not.  There is more to this than just being biased.

best wishes,
James

Roy Poses <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Evidence based health (EBH)" <[log in to unmask]>

01/12/2006 15:29
Please respond to
Roy Poses <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: post-modernists take another whack at EBH...EBM: between logical positivism and postmodernism

Very well said.  I would urge Dr Djulbegovic to enlarge on this and submit
it for publication.
However, please note that there is very little resemblance to what he said
and anything I could find in the Goldenberg article.  Furthermore, as
mentioned previously, the Goldenberg article was more than a critique of
EBM: it accused EBM of being actively harmful.
One clue as to why may be found in a part of the article I did not
previously mention.  The article called explicitly for science to be
politicized:
"A feminist philosophy of science is explicitly political, as science is
recognised to be a vehicle for feminism's emancipatory programme."
I have said before that I think a lot of the opposition to EBM comes from
people who have vested interests, economic or political.  EBM, by striving
to be unbiased (but of course attaining that goal imperfectly) is a threat
to people who are promoting specific economic or political interests,
including "feminism's emancipatory programme" among others.
Finally, a note to Helen Prosser: I don't think I ever denied that EBM has
limitations, problems, and challenges.  If I did, I did not mean to.  And
of course it is true that the current version of EBM has not really figured
out a great way to incorporate patients' values into decision making.
(Although there is a considerable literature on this, much of it labelled
"medical decision making," rather than EBM.  See, in particular, all that
has appeared about measuring patients' utilities and incorporating them
into decisions in the journal Medical Decision Making.)  But I did not see
a reasoned critique of this issue in the Goldenberg paper.

Roy M. Poses MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Brown University School of Medicine