Dear Professor Attia,

Warm greetings from the East of England.

I applaud your efforts to integrate EBM into UG medical education. How and
what to integrate will depend on whether you follow traditional style
teaching or case based learning. When we started teaching EBM to
undergraduate students we started off with a few introductory seminars on
the need for EBM.

Dan Mayer's "Essential evidence-based medicine" text would be a good
companion for the concepts in the first few years. As the students move
through their training using an EBM case log where students pick up
questions to answer from their ward rounds would help to engrain the EBM
approach. Hands on critical appraisal skills might be appropriate in the
early years.

We found interactive computer based learning especially for finding evidence
very powerful and the students took a keen interest in this. The other
approach we found useful was putting together a Meta site of various EBM web
sites including secondary sources of evidence.

Andrew Booth's netting the evidence is a very good starting point available
@
http://www.shef.ac.uk/scharr/ir/netting/

In the later stages the text "Evidence-Based Medicine: How to practice and
teach EBM" would be invaluable. More details @
http://www.cebm.utoronto.ca/doc/thirdEdition/toc.htm

You might find these articles of some relevance while putting the course
together
Early Introduction of an Evidence-based Medicine Course to Preclinical
Medical Students
Available @
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1494995

Teaching EBM to medical students
http://www.saem.org/download/Hand-6.pdf

Impact of an evidence-based medicine curriculum on medical students'
attitudes and skills
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=521510

Another interesting piece is "Obstacles to EBM in developing countries"
available @
http://www.cebm.utoronto.ca/doc/devl.ppt

I am sure colleagues with more experience and knowledge will be sharing
their thoughts on your posting. Wish you the very best in your efforts.

Warm regards & very best wishes,

Badri

Dr P Badrinath MD BS M.Phil MPH FFPH PhD (Cantab)
Consultant in Public Health Medicine & Affiliated Clinical Lecturer
Suffolk PCT & University of Cambridge
Thingoe House, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
http://myprofile.cos.com/badrishanthi