I can also say I've never heard of a "Muslim witch."  The Muslims I speak to would be rather horrified about this as they are against "djinn" and "magic".

A "Christian" witch is scoffed at by other Wiccans who seem to by and large (now, I cannot prove this academically except to say I've been in a lot of Wiccan chats) to laugh at what they perceive as the confusion of being a "Christian witch."  It seems that to some it is akin to simply "being confused" about what you want to be, because of the longstanding tiff between Christians and witches courtesy of the very Christian Sprenger and his Malleus Maleficarum.  What was spooky to me was the introduction, written in 1920 by a Pope who thought Sprenger had a great idea in writing the Malleus in the first place, and that witch hunting ought to be more aggressively pursued than it was.

I am sure there is an anthropological take on this too.

Again, looking forward to what the rest of you think. As a Wiccan, mine is only one point of view. (And I can't believe I just paid 250.00 for the new two volume edition of the Malleus Maleficarum newly redone and with scholarly notes vis a vis Oxford University!!)

Diane Yoder
MA candidate, Religion and Literature
Antioch University-McGregor