Actually there were Early Modern intellectuals (Christians of course) who did not buy the "witch" story, although for very different reasons than we would expect. One needs to understand the world view and the thinking of Early Moderns to develop a more nuanced understanding of the multi-layered arguments that were presented. I think that for the most part, Wiccans (and I am one, although I hope not as confused as I once was!) are confused about their historical roots. For this, again I recommend Scribner, as well as Stuart Clark (Thinking with Demons) and Richard Kieckhefer.  Frank Klaassen and Claire Fanger have excellent publications out on early magical and demonological texts which help in understanding at least the intellectual environment out or which the witchtrials arose.
Shya

----- Original Message -----
  From: diane yoder
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2006 5:42 AM
  Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Christian/muslim witches

  I can also say I've never heard of a "Muslim witch."  The Muslims I speak to would be rather horrified about this as they are against "djinn" and "magic".

  A "Christian" witch is scoffed at by other Wiccans who seem to by and large (now, I cannot prove this academically except to say I've been in a lot of Wiccan chats) to laugh at what they perceive as the confusion of being a "Christian witch."  It seems that to some it is akin to simply "being confused" about what you want to be, because of the longstanding tiff between Christians and witches courtesy of the very Christian Sprenger and his Malleus Maleficarum.  What was spooky to me was the introduction, written in 1920 by a Pope who thought Sprenger had a great idea in writing the Malleus in the first place, and that witch hunting ought to be more aggressively pursued than it was.

  I am sure there is an anthropological take on this too.

  Again, looking forward to what the rest of you think. As a Wiccan, mine is only one point of view. (And I can't believe I just paid 250.00 for the new two volume edition of the Malleus Maleficarum newly redone and with scholarly notes vis a vis Oxford University!!)

  Diane Yoder
  MA candidate, Religion and Literature
  Antioch University-McGregor