There is a reference to Islamic magical healing in Lila Abu-Lughod's _Writing Women's Worlds_ (Berkeley: U of California Press, 1993).   I also know from conference papers I've heard that Tunisia and Morocco have many Islamic saints' tombs that become sites of pilgrimage and healing; in many cases, these are also frequented by local Christians and Jews.   Islamic spiritual healing is part of vernacular Islam in the same way that European spiritual healing is related to vernacular Christianity/ Catholicism.

Best,
Sabina Magliocco

jacqueline simpson wrote:
If this 'thread' began with a question about a charm
which names Jesus, it might be relevant for me to
recommend a recent book, Jonathan Roper's 'English
Verbal Charms' (Helsinki, 2005, ISBN 951-41-0968-6).

This discusses a considerable number of traditional
charms (from  a database of about 500), a high
proportion being noticeably Christian in their
references. There are pan-European links, especially
for the pre-Reformation ones, which can be hunted up
through his bibliography.

In general, it can be said that traditional magic
intended as helpful to the individual or the community
is (in Europe) rich in Christian elements and
references, and that the practitioners saw no conflict
between (say) healing charms or thief-punishing charms
and their Christian beliefs. I can also recommend the
various books of Owen Davies on Cunning Men/Women for
insights into this. And Will Ryan on Russian folk
magic gives a very similar picture.

I am unfortunately not able to recommend studies on
Islamic magical practice, but I would be prepared to
bet that it dovetails into Islamic religioin in much
the same way. Probably Muslims who are horrified at
the term 'witch' are equating it with some Arabic word
referring to the practice of  magic for harmful
anti-social purposes. It's hard enough to discuss
these matters within one's own langusge and culture --
mental translation must make things far worse!

Jacqueline Simpson

--- jason winslade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I think a lot of this categorization revolves around
the debate between 'religion' and 'practice' in
witchcraft. Specifically, that folk practices were
subsumed under whatever religion ruled the day.
Mogg's original example seems to me to fall under
the category, 'use what you're given' - the name of
power in that context is Jesus. Same reason why
stolen hosts and other Christian items were used in
magical spells. The idea is that before the folk
were converted to Christianity, other names were
used, Diana, Hecate, for example. Though I'm not
sure if there's any evidence for that beyond
fantasy. Makes sense to me, though.

diane yoder <[log in to unmask]> wrote: I can
also say I've never heard of a "Muslim witch."  The
Muslims I speak to would be rather horrified about
this as they are against "djinn" and "magic".

A "Christian" witch is scoffed at by other Wiccans
who seem to by and large (now, I cannot prove this
academically except to say I've been in a lot of
Wiccan chats) to laugh at what they perceive as the
confusion of being a "Christian witch."  It seems
that to some it is akin to simply "being confused"
about what you want to be, because of the
longstanding tiff between Christians and witches
courtesy of the very Christian Sprenger and his
Malleus Maleficarum.  What was spooky to me was the
introduction, written in 1920 by a Pope who thought
Sprenger had a great idea in writing the Malleus in
the first place, and that witch hunting ought to be
more aggressively pursued than it was.

I am sure there is an anthropological take on this
too.

Again, looking forward to what the rest of you
think. As a Wiccan, mine is only one point of view.
(And I can't believe I just paid 250.00 for the new
two volume edition of the Malleus Maleficarum newly
redone and with scholarly notes vis a vis Oxford
University!!)

Diane Yoder
MA candidate, Religion and Literature
Antioch University-McGregor

On 12/2/06, diane yoder < [log in to unmask]>
wrote:I think also, what needs to be taken into
account re:  Malleus Maleficarum is that the term
"witch" is a Christian construct.  I wonder if those
who would practice what Mogg described below would
not have considered themselves "witches" per
se....it would be other Christians pointing a finger
and screaming "Witch" that would be the rule of the
day.

So perhaps in terms of self-identification,
"witchcraft" as we know it  today in which people
such as myself are no longer afraid to say "I'm a
witch" (meaning "Wiccan"...is a modern
construct--and even some Wiccans hesitate to use the
word "witch" because of its historically negative
connotations).

During the Salem witchcraft trials, Cotton Mather,
et. al. were using the "Rules" of European witch
hunting a la  Sprenger et. al. as a guide to
"identifying" what a witch was/looked like because
apparently, they didn't know without the "rules."
(See Mather's  Wonders of the Invisible World).  So
would it be proper to even say such rural
practitioners were self-identified as "witches?"
Reading "trial" records, it seems these people were
pretty sincere in their denials that they were
witches.

What do you all think?

Diane Yoder
Antioch University-McGregor
Yellow Springs, OH

On 12/1/06,  Mandrake of Oxford <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:     Dear Friend

 I guess that before the twentieth  century most
 european witches were christian -
 although perhaps the theology is  unorthodox eg:
 from 'Secret of  Secrets':
 'Hail thou holy herb growing on the  ground
 thou heals many a grief and staunces  many a wound
 in the name of Jesus Christ I pluck you  from the
ground.'

 so perhaps 'pagan' witchcraft is a  modern thing?
 and indeed there is no fundamental  reason why a
magician or witch shoould not a christian or indeed
muslim be  ??
 Some sabbatics still have 'christian'  affiliations

 'love and do what you  will'

 mogg