Sort of assumes that  the GPs, MIU/UCC and any emergency care
practitoners won't be admitting to the DGH  though ...

The Hallamshire  doesn't seem to suffer from a general medicine /
general surgical point of view in not having a fully functioning ED ,
Neither  does Nottigham City ...

It's a complete re-casting of the service and the speciality  -  as it
stands Emergency Departments  are a little like  the Fire service -
scaled around  exceptional demand, required  to provide  exceptional
services ( flying squad (even if it's never used  there's all the stuff
in the cupboards -going out of date if it’s not stock rotated, MAJAX
response, CBRN )

IF and it’s a big if the changes are well planned and managed  it will
see  the recasting of emergency departments in some places into MIU/ UCC
/WIC and an assessment/ admissions unit  ( sound famialir to anyone
who's been to S Yorks) while the major Emergency depts become  more
major  and more focused on resuscitation aspects of Emergency medicine

We may also see more Doctors on air ambulances and 'MUG' /'SMUR' type
teams as typified by  ATACC etc  as well -