Is there anyone else out there who has inexplicably found themselves on the 'list of the damned' in national papers? we are allegedly closing one or both of our EDs in Halifax/Huddersfield according to the Mirror and the Telegraph this weekend (and the Express a couple of months ago). This has caused great upset, unrest, and plummeting morale in both departments. I suspect that the papers have got hold of the fact that we are planning our reconfiguration of surgical services and have made the assumption on that basis - in actual fact, the 'given' from square one with our plans was that both sites would continue to have EDs.

grrrr!

andy

----- Original Message ----
From: "McCormick Simon Dr, Consultant, A&E" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, 5 December, 2006 8:49:56 AM
Subject: Re: Thrombolysis for PEs

I suppose that’s part of the point I’m trying to make.  Alteplase has the licence for PE thrombolysis and its unlikely any other company is going to do the trials necessary to get one so using another fibrinolytic is technically prescribing off licence.  Locally we’d rather use a drug everyone is familiar with and we use Reteplase for MIs so it makes sense to stick with that.  However, this flies in the face of the BTS guidelines and the licensing so we need to make sure we are not going out on a limb.  The consultants are generally happy with the idea but it’s the Risk Managers that get twitchy.

Simon

P.S.  No, we aren’t thrombolysing strokes yet so I suppose we’ll be on Patricia ‘Ko-Ko’ Hewitt’s list soon enough.