  From: Lucy Kimbell
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, December 07, 2006 7:19 AM
  Subject: Proposing Linda Scott

  Dear Aacorners

  Rafael Ramirez and I would like to propose our colleague Linda Scott who has recently joined the faculty of Saïd Business School where she is in the marketing, culture and society group.

  Linda's research and teaching has several overlaps with the arts.  First, her research stream
  proposing a rhetorical theory of advertising is based in literary theory, but has been extended into
  music-as-rhetoric and images-as-rhetoric, with considerable impact in the marketing and advertising
  literature.

  Most recently, she has been working on a theory that suggests images in postindustrial
  culture are an emergent form of writing, available to express anything that might be accomplished with
  alphabetic writing, including commercial persuasion.  In her other research and teaching stream, Linda
  works with the aesthetic and creative impulses that often propel consumer behavior, including a notion
  of 'material poetics' that describes the practices and judgements that cause objects to be put together
  (e. g. home décor, dress) in fresh and pleasing ways.

  Scott's training is almost entirely in arts theory (literature, visual art, music, drama) and in her previous job at the University of Illinois, she had joint appointments in art, advertising, women's studies, and communications research.

  Lk

  Lucy Kimbell
  Clark Fellow in Design Leadership
  Saïd Business School