Dear Jack and every one on the list,

Jack,

You bring rigor, erudition and illumination through your thoughtful questions.

The issue of influence within education has been discussed from different perspectives. For example, Some scholars have studies the impact of teacher influence in the classroom (e.g., McCroskey & Richmond, 1983; Richmond & McCrosky;1984; Richmond & Roach, 1992), while others have examined forms of mutual influence in which the teacher influences students, student influence the teacher, and students affect one another (e.g., Simonds, 1997; Staton, 1990).

Jack’s question is: aren't there only a few values and understandings

that if

lived more fully could contribute to the generation of a world of well-being and

educational quality?

Absolutely! As long as we have an educational system that takes into serious consideration the question of “I” (not in its natural dimension), those values exist, make sense and bring liberation. This presupposes that the values, ontologically, need to be embedded within a system that nourishes “I” in its transcendental way.

When I was talking earlier on the relationship between is and ought and their ontologically significant relation, I was referring to the same values. Yes, there are values that need to be promoted, lived and strengthened and their presence would bring rigor, sublimity, growth, elevation and perfection to academia. The point is if educators need to promote those values, do they not need to live those values and if yes, they have already demonstrated the presence of those values through their both intentionality and their act (not their behavior). The mere presence of the values, in this sense, would produce, generate and create influences in different levels. One level is through the evidence that can come from those influenced (they may come verbally and acknowledge those influence trough comments like “you changed my life”, “I am now somebody else”, etc.). Aside from the exteriorization of their comments (those influenced), the influence can bring a change of climate in terms of political, cultural and personal climate. let's think of those who have influenced us in terms of our cultural, educational, personal climates. Now matter who they are (Dewey, Plato, IbneSina, Kant, etc.), it is the change of the climate that may well indicate their powerful influence. This may not necessarily happen in a cognitive sense but in an emotive context.

Critical reflection of scholarly research allows us to ask questions about what should be, focus on ethical standards and social change, and rationally investigate alternative descriptions of what is taking place in the classroom. In doing so, Sprague (1992) offers six questions that should be asked:

Why do schools exist?

What do teachers do?

What is the nature of development?

What is knowledge and how is curriculum establihed?

How does language function in education?

How does power fucnction in the classroom?

Jack is also asking: “However, if we are to bring the
embodied knowledges of educational practitioner-researchers into the Academy as
valid and legitimated knowledge won't we have to provide evidence of our
educational
influences in learning
and express with some clarity and evidence the living
standards
of judgement we use to evaluate the validity of our contributions to educational
knowledge?   Yes, we need to do that. But the question here is: are we supposed to circumscribe the presence of evidence within specific layers or the scope of evidence can not be cooped within some pre-established forms of knowledge? For instance, if we simply comply with a positivist approach that can corroborate the sensibility of evidence within specific avenues, then our options are getting restricted since the evidence
make sense only and if only they are recognized within our pre-defined forms of sensibility. In this sense, narratology, for example may be soon and easily ostracized, where as if we expand the pie, we can see the generation of other avenues that bring sense and sensibility while offering a new horizon for academia.

I’d like to warp up by poem which was published in Integral Review not while ago.

Review not while ago.

Avenues of Mysticism

Sayyed Mohsen Fatemi

I walked through the avenues of mysticism amidst the dark nights of despondency when the nightmares of failure, fiasco, annihilation, devastation, and delirium ferociously echoed in the dismal channels of desperation and frustration, when the fulcrum of being was paralyzed by the antagonizing impediments and the havoc of the mansion of life.

I walked through the avenues of mysticism and searched for the houses of peace where the erosion of anxiety and the mirages of certainty pine away.

I saw a man who was selling pomegranates of joy to the hearts of people at the cost of a sincere smile quite different form the ostentatiously hypocritical ones that can often be found in the metropolitan cities.

I saw a woman who was giving away cascades of lilacs and baskets of sweet basil munificently and generously to open up the incarcerated hearts.

I saw gazelles of sensibility running free in the realms of tigers.

In avenues of mysticism, jasmines teach eloquence and water lilies offer philosophy, the chosen would walk on water and the elite would break the moon and exceed the sun.

In avenues of mysticism, people share the nakedness of the heart and never get lost in the alleys of alienation. There is not a dead end, or a shut off. Nor any cul-de-sac or impasse.

In avenues of mysticism, people use the express train of bliss and bring the news of awareness without any need to C.N.N. or A.B.C. or C.B.S. In avenues of mysticism, the petals of the flowers act as correspondents and report the latest happenings not in utilitarian ways.

In the avenues of mysticism, the subordinate clause sits by the main clause without any shame or doubt. Even the compound sentences turn out to be prepositions afterward.

In avenues of mysticism, prayer serves as a panacea far better than any amphetamine, barbiturates, and PCP or thrill pills.

Fatemi: Avenues of Mysticism 24 Sayyed Mohsen Fatemi holds a Ph.D. in language and literacy Education from the University of British Columbia. He also has a doctorate in psychology and is a published author, poet and translator with many conference presentations. He has been teaching courses on education and language, language and communication, creativity and discourse, hermeneutics and psychology, communication and problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills, communication and television studies, English poetry, psychology of mind, general psychology, and psychology of mass media in the University of British Columbia, New York institute of Technology, Upper Iowa Universities and Pattison College, Century College and Athabasca University. Mohsen is currently teaching graduate and undergraduate courses on education, psychology, language and communication for the University of British Columbia, City University, University of Phoenix and Upper Iowa University.

Telephone: (604) 222 4495

Address: 103-2720 Acadia Road UBC

Vancouver BC

V6T 1R9

Email: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]

INTEGRAL REVIEW 2, 2006

Sayyed Mohsen Fatemi, Ph.D.

Lecturer in Language Education, Psychology and  Communication

The University of British Columbia

Tel: 604 2224495

Emails: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]