Thanks to Roger for his comprehensive response which sets the scene .

To be as brief as possible:

The Procurement Framework aims to be a list of approved SUPPLIERS who can provide a complete service built to the school/LA statement of requirement.

It can’t be a list of approved products as no one product fulfills the Functional Requirements, (the aim of the functional requirement at another level is to promote interoperability by seperating the functional requirement from the tech specs.)

What Becta would say is that any school/LA’s should reflect on what they currently do, and plan what they want to do, using tools like the Learning Platform functionality Matrix:

http://matrix.becta.org.uk/GMATRIX_998079_67683388/1163410508335/rebrand/matrix/index.cfm?matrix=136&forcenew=yes

tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/yyrlhd

rather than looking at what products and technology will let them do , and having to adapt their way of working and teaching.

I’m on the periphery of the main project, and am contributing to a sub project looking at successful implementation, I don’t know all the answers but as one of the VLE list admins felt I should try and put the Becta view forward. Happy to chat on phone if it helps.

Rob

Rob Englebright
Policy Advisor FE
British Educational Communications and Technology Agency (Becta)
Millburn Hill Road, Science Park
Coventry CV4 7JJ
Tel: 07747 458121
Fax: 024 7641 1418
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/champ-curriculum.html

ILT CHAMPIONS on FRAPPR
http://www.frappr.com/iltchampions

Does your College have an ILT Champion? Join the list, ask me how.