Sent: Fri 11/10/2006 12:06 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Digital signatures / authenticity

Catherine,

Further to Marc's and Sonya's responses, I recently had cause to look at the
question of electronic signatures. When you say "I think I'm mixing up
digital signatures with electronic signatures.", the confusion lies not with
you, but with the inability of language to keep pace with technological
developments. I have long had a problem with the term 'electronic documents'
now irreversibly enshrined in such acronyms as 'EDRMS'. I much prefer
'digital documents', which I believe more accurately describes the form in
which such information objects are stored. Anyway, I won't pursue that
particular theme further here.

As Marc says, "Digital signatures usually involve clever software". In the
course of my investigation of this area, I came across a couple of
references you might find useful:

1) The current EU position on 'electronic' signatures:
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/lex/LexUriServ/site/en/com/2006/com2006_0120en0
1.pdf

2) An academic viewpoint on 'electronic' signatures and their authenticity:
http://www.kuner.com/data/articles/signature_perspective.html.

Regards,

Bob
InfoPlex Associates, UK