The National Archives of Australia has some guidance on the issues surrounding digital signatures, authentication and encryption.

See the Digital Recordkeeping Guidelines (chapter 8 and 13.3, security)
http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/er/guidelines.html

And more detail in Recordkeeping And Online Security Processes
http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/er/security.html

regards
Sonya

Sonya Sherman
Cayman Islands National Archive

"Fresko, Marc" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Catherine

Roughly speaking, there is no circumstance in which a pasted digital image of a signature will add any value whatsoever from the legal perspective.

Digital signatures usually involve clever software, special codes and so on (not pasted images). They are complex to implement and problematic to store over long periods - but they are "legally admissible".

Marc Fresko
Cornwell

--
Sent from my Blackberry wireless handheld.